Juice Interactive was gracious enough to host the AIGA Mentor Group, and shared some of their stories and advice with our group this evening. The first speaker was Laura, who spoke about Digital Strategy at Juice. She explained herself in her role, as a combination of a marketer, consultant, and sales rep. In short, here's the process she explained about how an interaction might work:
1. Client presents "business opportunity" (cough... problem they're having)
2. She works with client to determine KPI's (Key Performance Indicators)
3. Create metrics and form details for the project
4. Communicate plan and recommendation in language the client understands
5. Client reviews and further defines the project
6. Strategist works with internal team to ensure KPI's
Laura also mentioned that digital strategy is often a balancing act between user needs, client objectives, and feasible technology.
The second presentation was by a web developer named Jonathan who showed us how to take a SVG (scalable vector graphic, something you can make in Illustrator!) and add it to a website, and modify layers (created in Illustrator) using CSS. It was actually really cool, and thanks to my class with Anijo last year, I was able to follow along with what he was doing very well! Quick tip: be sure to label your layers in Illustrator with names you'll remember!
Overall, it was a great trip, and I learned a ton on two varying topics that both relate to the digital experience and interaction on a website or application. We also got two book recommendations I'll share here as well.